List of Low Acid Foods to Reduce Stomach Acid Reflux

Bananas are usually considered to be alkaline. They are a good way to obtain fiber, vitamin B6 and potassium (it’s good for your heart and bones). It is possible to eat them anytime, for a snack or with a meal. In many low acid baking recipes, it is possible to mash them up as an alternative to a fat component (e.g. butter). Apples are a great source of fiber, too. Fiber could help you stay full longer, which often could minimize overeating throughout the day.

More Low acid fruits:

• Melon
  • Mango

Meats

Skinless chicken is a great low acid diet staple and an excellent source of protein (a 4 oz. portion provides 2/3 of your RDA). While poultry is perfectly fine, deep frying it could trigger heartburn. Salmon contains omega-3 essential fatty acids, which help the heart, joints, and eyes.

Just like chicken, the best Acid reflux recipes for seafood could reduce or exclude seasoning and spices (don’t forget to skip lemon too). For those who have Acid reflux, the UMMC (University of Mississippi Medical Center) recommends eating fish as well as other lean sources of protein and stay away from smoked, highly processed and pickled fish or meat products, for example sausages and pickled sardines, which could increase acidity.

More lean meats and proteins with low fat content such as:

• Egg whites or egg substitute

Cereals

Oatmeal is an excellent breakfast alternative for people adhering to a low-acid diet. It’s an excellent source of filling fiber and could help stabilize blood glucose levels. When topping off a hot bowl of oat meal with fresh fruit, be sure you stay away from the ones high in acid (e.g. blueberries and cranberries). Brown rice may be a healthy choice if you’re following a low-acid diet. It’s an excellent source of fiber, which could help regulate the intestine, plus it’s heart healthy and chock full of Vitamin b, which could help maintain your body active.

Nuts

Unlike other nuts like pecans or cashews, almonds are alkaline. The mono unsaturated fat and omega 3 almonds contain may protect your heart plus their high dietary fiber content could make you feel full between meals. Almonds also contain E vitamin, a healthy antioxidant, and also manganese and magnesium. When making low acid recipes use almonds in preference to the other nuts.

Low fat foods such as:

Most vegetables are great for low acid diets as long as they are cooked without a lot of oil.

Whole grains, rice and oats make a great base for any diet and especially acid reducing diets.

Foods to Avoid When You Have Acid Reflux

Avoid tomatoes, onions, most fruit juices, sour cream, fried foods, or any wine or coffee. Staying away from liquor and high-fat pastries like doughnuts, could also improve your condition.

High fat meats like:

• Marbled beef
  • Fried chicken
  • Bacon

High acid fruits include:

• The citrus family
  • Oranges
  • Lemons
  • Grapefruit
  • Cranberries

Click Here to Get The Free Anti Acid Meal Plan!

Get The Free Anti Acid Meal Plan!

Please fill out the form below to receive instantly the newsletter
with low acid recipes and the weekly anti acid meal plan via email.

lockYour Privacy is Safe, We Hate Spam!
By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy.
Please wait...

Low acid foods chart

Get The Free Anti Acid Meal Plan!

Please fill out the form below to receive instantly the newsletter
with low acid recipes and the weekly anti acid meal plan via email.

lockYour Privacy is Safe, We Hate Spam!
By signing up, you agree to our Terms & Privacy Policy.
Please wait...

Most Common Questions About Low Acid Foods:

• Q. Is yogurt good for acid reflux ?
  • A. Yogurt could be great for strengthening the stomach walls and digestive enzymes. It could help with acid reflux because of the pain-relieving properties that so many acid reflux sufferers go through. Plain yogurt is the best. If plain yogurt doesn’t appeal to you, try adding a low-acid fruit to the mix, like bananas.
  • Q. Is ginger good for acid reflux ?
    A. Ginger is great for acid reflux because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Buying ginger in its purest form is the best way to incorporate it for acid reflux and heartburn relief. Take fresh ginger slices, steep them in boiling water, and make yourself a cup of tea. Don’t be tempted to add lemon, as this acid could counteract the pain-fighting remedy.
  • Q. Does drinking water help acid reflux ?
    A. Drinking a copious amount of water during meals could help dilute the stomach acid formed during digestion. By watering down the stomach contents, you are also speeding up the digestion process. If heartburn has already started to occur, drinking water could push the acid down that may have pushed up into the esophagus.
  • Q. Are apples good for acid reflux ?
  • A. Apples are a low-acid fruit and therefore safe to eat with those that suffers from heartburn. Apple juice, fresh and dried apples are also okay. Cider may be the only apple product that may cause acid indigestion and heartburn, so avoid that.
  • Q. Is vinegar good for acid reflux ?
    A. There is no evidence to concur that vinegar is good for acid reflux. Because stomach acid is the main culprit of heartburn, adding acid to the situation would not improve the pain. By adding more acid to the stomach acid that is already irritating the esophagus, you could potentially damage it more.
  • Q. Is soy milk good for acid reflux ?
  • A. Soy milk has less fat than 1% or 2% of milk, leaving researchers to believe that it does provide some relief for acid reflux. Try substituting all dairy intact with soy alternatives; Keeping a detailed food journal during the week to track your acid reflux occurrences. If the condition improves, stick with it!
  • Q. Are almonds good for acid reflux ?
    A. According to folk and natural remedies, almonds could help acid reflux. It’s recommended to eat five or six and it helps the indigestion and heartburn associated with reflux. Almonds provide great nutrition – carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and protein. Incorporating some into your diet could help!
  • Q. mayonnaise acid reflux
    A. Mayonnaise could make acid reflux symptoms worse. Most fatty foods, cream based sauces, and oils could cause heartburn for those that are susceptible. A low-fat alternative could often times lessen symptoms. You don’t have to go without mayo on your favorite sandwiches, just be conscious of the fat and oil content.
  • Q. Are eggs bad for acid reflux ?
  • A. Eggs do have the potential to aggravate your reflux. They are not great for acid reflux but not horrible either. Preparing your eggs is probably the most important way to avoid aggravation – Do not fry in a lot of butter and oil. Any fried foods have the potential of causing heartburn and discomfort.
  • Q. Are grapes bad for acid reflux ?
    A. Grapes should be consumed only at your discretion. They do prose a medium risk due to the acidity of the fruit. They could be completely fine, but this may be a fruit you want to avoid. They do not have the highest acid content of fruits, by any means, but could still pose a problem.
  • Other Most Common Questions About Acid Reflux
    Below a list of the most common questions from our readers, if you have a question, feel free to contact us, we’ll be happy to help :-)

• Q. What is the difference between heartburn and acid reflux ?
    A. Acid reflux is when acid is regurgitated into the esophagus. It is possible to have acid reflux and not have any pain resulting from it although heartburn could sometimes be the result. Heartburn is the burning sensation, in the chest, of acid eating through the lining of the esophagus. Heartburn is the result of acid reflux taking place.
  • Q. Can stress cause acid reflux ?
    A. Stress could cause acid reflux. When highly stressed, the body manages blood flow differently. The blood flow becomes less in the stomach causing digestion to slow down. When digestion takes longer, it could cause the food to push up against the stomach walls resulting in acid reflux. Eating smaller meals when stressed could help this issue.
  • Q. Will throwing up help acid reflux ?
  • A. Throwing up will not help acid reflux; In fact, it will most likely make it worse. Once the stomach acid enters the esophagus, the heartburn could damage the lining. Prolonged vomiting will bring more acid up and could cause further irritation and possible damage. If you are throwing up due to acid reflux issues, talk to your doctor.
  • Q. Does acid reflux cause gas ?
  • A. Gas could cause indigestion and acid reflux, or it could be the result of an acid reflux episode. When food is digested slowly, the food sits idly in the stomach creating a lot of gas in the stomach. When bloating occurs as the result, it could put a lot of pressure on the muscle between the stomach and esophagus, causing acid reflux to occur.
  • Q. Can acid reflux cause nausea ?
    A. Nausea could often times be the result of eating an acid reflux “trigger food”. Avoiding these foods could reduce nausea symptoms. If you are on a medication for acid reflux, consult your doctor as to whether your medication may bring on nausea symptoms.
  • Q. can acid reflux cause coughing ?
    A. Chronic acid reflux sufferers often times have an acid reflux cough. When the stomach acid travels up the esophagus it could sometimes irritate the throat and result in a cough. When the esophagus spasms and you cough, stomach acid could sometimes end up in the lungs.
  • Q. Does acid reflux cause bad breath ?
  • A. Yes, some people have bad breath associated with the stomach acid content and food particles that could be brought up by the acid regurgitating into the esophagus and into the throat. The odor-causing bacteria could be kept at bay by brushing teeth or chewing gum. Chewing gum is also a great way to keep the stomach acid down that could be a result of reflux.
  • Q. Can acid reflux cause dizziness ?
    A. Dizziness could be a side effect of acid reflux but this could also be the result of a different condition. Since dizziness, nausea, vomiting and reflux could all be part of a more serious condition, consult your doctor for testing. If you are on a medication for acid reflux, discuss the symptoms with your doctor.
  • Q. Can acid reflux cause stomach pain ?
    A. Stomach pain, from a mild cause to extreme, is typically not directly related to acid reflux. It could be the result of eating a trigger food that aggravates the acid reflux. Evaluate and keep track of what you eat if the stomach pain is continual; reduce those foods from your diet or consult a physician.
  • Q. Where does acid reflux hurt ?
    A. Acid reflux could hurt but doesn’t always cause symptoms of discomfort. If you do have acid reflux-induced pain it is generally in the chest cavity and the throat. The esophagus generally feels the burning sensation known as heartburn. Some people just have burping and slight regurgitation not resulting in any pain what so ever.
  • signup

Filed Under: Mediterranean Food

Comments

1. Ethiopia A. Belay says:

Thank you I want the diet list.

2. s sellers says:

You are confused about pH. Low pH is high acid, high pH is low acid.

3. Thank you! I’ve edited it…was a typo.

Kind regards

4. Sir/Madam,
      I am Gastric Patient.Kindly hep for my gastric treatment.I am very Poor social worker.

5. the diet is very good, i just started applying.

wtih best regards

6. Think of your stomach as a pail 2/3 full of water.
      Now grab the pail and start walking fast.
      Do you notice that the water splashes up against all sides of the pail?
      Water actually spills right out of the pail, even.
      Makes me wonder what the consistency of the food in the stomach is at any given time.
      Is it the texture of mud?
      Is it the texture of water?
      Is it the texture of toothpaste?
      Jogging or any exercise that focuses on jarring the body or involves twisting or rotating the body might be a trigger for acid reflux.
      Just food for thought . . . excuse the pun :)

7. Thank You Ruth!

8. What a brilliant website!!! I am 14 weeks pregnant and have suffered since week seven from a hernia and acid reflux. I still haven’t identified all the ‘trigger foods’ because they seem to be endless, causing regular pain and inflamation to my upper stomach. The advice on your website has given me ‘new hope’ as I was starting to give up:) Thank you….

9. Very well done professional briliant webside it like to visit a great doctor which is hard to find in our days thanks

10. wilma cabrera says:

Please help me on my diet and what exercise to do. Is zumba bad for acid reflux?

11. @Wilma,

please mail me at http://www.mediterraneanbook.com/contact-us/

I’ll be happy to help you.

Ciao!

12. I have recently been to the doctor due to constant headaches cost by sour throat/acid reflux he seems to be ignoring the fact that these headaches are caused by the acid reflux he gave tons of medication but nothing for the reflux it gets so bad that i have to vomit green/yellow substance (excuse the disgusting description) and i’m afraid all the headache tablets that contains asprin I keep consuming does something to this acid reflux i keep having. One doctor told me to avoid fizzy soda’s, fatty foods and anything with acid for that matter. So please help if i start treating the acid reflux will the headaches go away? My stomach is itching as i’m writing this its irritated by all the acid I believe I’ve been drinking boiled water but nothing seems to help

13. @Zanele,

Please contact me http://www.mediterraneanbook.com/contact-us/

I’ll be happy to help ypu
      :-)

Ciao!

14. Don Rippetoe says:

interesting.

15. I’m enjoying you program. I have bleeding stomach polyps and my doctor told me to stay on a bland diet. I have no idea what to eat anymore. I think I will start over with your low acid diet. Thank you.

16. debra nalley says:

i am a diabetic where can i obtain diabetic planning for meals
      and does the mediterrannean have a meal planner

17. I am also diabetic and would love a diet to suit our conditions. I just spent 5 weeks in the hospital due to acid reflux. It was sso baad, I couldnt keep anything down, pleaaase help!!!

18. Kriti Sharma says:

I am 22 and recently got diagnosed with barret’s esophagus. The doctors were treating me for IBS ( constipation)up until a year before that and I was on a FODMAP diet. Finally they did an endoscopy ( I suffered for years) and now I am so confused weather to follow a FODMAP diet or alkaline diet cause the food that are ok to eat here are not in the FODMAP list. I started my meds two days ago and I am still constipated. HELP!!!!

19. @Kriti,

Have you already downloaded our menu?

20. Iwant to know if Pasta is a acid reflux ?

21. Jackie, it depends on how you cook it :-)

22. I have a problem with GERD for more than 7 months now and been going in and out of the hospitals for consultation. Many kinds of medicines i have been taken but of no good results. As of now the only medicines i take is DEXILANT, the doctor advised me to take it for 60 days (once a day, 30 minutes before breakfast), and gave me a maintenance for my asthma which is SERETIDE. I took the medicines for almost 2 weeks now, the problem is, i felt like their is no difference of what i felt before until this time. I also have the hard time in burping. Any advise of what should i do?

23. My gastroenterologist advised me not to exercise for halfhour or hour after eating and this has been helpful.Also chewing gum particularly if you have bad breath. Peppermint is acidic, other mints ok. I have acid wear on my teeth also for which the dentist recommended “Pronamel” toothpaste by “Sensodyne”. Eat regular small meals particularly if pregnant.

24. Aug. 7 2013 I went to the ER and was told I had an esophagus spam. I have had sever acid reflux since. I have had to go back to the ER once. I have been on the BRAT diet since, and added some foods into my diet. I wish I would have found this web-site sooner, I added some foods that weren’t that great for me. The Drs have not been able to control the acid and the test show nothing. I am going to a specialist later this week to have a new test and one redone. This has been the worse illness I have ever had. Thank you for your site, the information and some suggestions.

25. I have a problem with my oesophagus which is too wavy, thus causing difficulty in swallowing sometimes or digesting food, which results to a reflux of acidity in my mouth which is uncomfortable. My gum most of the time is numb, a sour taste in mouth, dryness and it hurts also. Till now i haven t been diagnotise what the real problem is and why this occurs. I have more test to be done. I hve done the ba swallow test, the next will be a radiography of my gums, a gastroscopy, and more test to see why i do have this numbness and often ulcers in my mouth. I am not on any medications, only a gel for dry mouth syndrome. Thanks you for your suggestions and which diet should i be. Could you please help and also i do not want this comments to be posted is it ok.

26. Lori Biermann says:

I was recently diagnosed with acid reflux. It seems to have gotten in my vocal box. I’m am going in for a EGD and I am taking prohibitors. I want to get off them. I’m doing the food method but need to be successful with it. Hope this helps! My life has been miserable. I do take probiotics and wounded if that is not helping. Please help.!

27. Marjorie Taylor says:

Hello; Am in a predicament with my food/diet plan. I am 69 years old, still working and my step mother lives with me. I have had severe acid reflux in past with Nissen surgery done 5 years ago with excellent results. About 8 months ago started having trouble swallowing and after endoscopy with three dilations and biopsies have been diagnosed with rare lichenoid esophagitis, chronic mild gastritis and slow esophageal motility. Since then two more endoscopies with more dilations. Now on SOFT diet indefinitely with restrictions already in place of NO spicy, hot, scratchy, hard, acidic, or salty foods. So am now basically confused as many charts say eat yogurt, cream soups, cottage cheese, eggs and then others say yogurt is acidic (due to addition of ascorbic acid) and most have fruit. Only fruit I can have is banana, melon and mango. Only veges are cooked and few of those. If this were temporary I could handle fine but most likely permanent per gastroenterologist.

28. I have been having this problem for more then 10 years. I been ill so long I don’t know what to do. I have been to hospital so many time and they don’t know what is wrong with me. I have had acid reflects so long that they have tried different things and it has not worked. My problem is that my stomach burns in the pit of my stomach. It feels like there is a hot frying pan in it and pac man is trying to eat it. They have gave me GI COCKTAIL, done ex rays, CT’S, looked in my stomach, looked at my pancreas, checked gallbladder and done blood work and CATSCANS and everything comes back normal, so they say. What can I do to stop this pain that I am having. I have lost a lot of wait, because I can’t eat or drink because I throw up. I have to take my pills for my stomach and nausea and it still dose not go away. My Dr. said he thinks its my nerves, but I think at the beginning yes but not know. I am thinking I have so much acid in my stomach that even the pills is not working. My Dr. also said that I was backed up and gave me medicine to clean me out, but it did not work. I recently went to the ER and they took ex rays and the ER Dr. said I was not back up very much. He gave me some medicine anyways to help me get rid of the back up. I would really appreciate if some could help me find out what wrong with my stomach.

Mary Bates

29. can I have the Diet Pleaseeeeeeeee:((

30. Thank you for the article I have been having a problem of acid reflux causing bad breath, sneezing, but have seen a doctor and now i understand the problem even more through your article. Thank you.